This recipe is a throw back! I learned how to make this delicious Kale and Avocado salad years ago from my best friend Scarlett. I believe that she also got this recipe from one of her friends. This salad had been passed around a few time, so you know it’s going to be good! I’ve taken this to my mom’s house for our family dinners and it’s a hit! Come on, it’s AVOCADO!
This salad is very versatile. I used green curly kale here but any kind works. I find that the avocado tucks nicely into the folds of the curly leaf varieties. But, by all means, use any kale you have on hand! I have also thrown in some feta before, and it is super tasty! An added bonus, your hands will be super soft when you’re done!
Some bunches of kale are bigger than others, so if you have a large bunch, then double the recipe. My batch I used here was small.
Serves 2 Prep Time: 15 minutes
For the salad
One bunch of kale (any curly kind worked nicely)
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the dressing
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
- Remove the kale from the stalk and tear kale leaves into bite size pieces (size of a tortilla chip or smaller). Discard the stems.
- In a colander or salad spinner, wash kale leaves and dry thoroughly. Pat dry with a clean dish towel.
- Transfer clean kale into a large mixing bowl.
- In the palm or your hand pour the course salt and olive oil into your hand. Rub the salt and olive oil in between your hands.
- Massage the kale with you hands until slightly wilted and tender.
- Cut open the avocado, discard the pit and cut a grid into the avocado. Mash with a fork and scrap the flesh into the mixing bowl, onto the kale.
- With your hands, massage the avocado into the kale.
- Add lemon juice and mix once more with your hands
- Serve in a soup bowl or salad plate,
Tip: Before you wash you hands after all this mixing, rub the oil salt and avocado into your hands. It feels nice!