My favorite thing about making cranberry sauce for the holidays, is that you can make it the day before! It’s now one less thing you have to worry about. This recipe is based off a version of the dish my sister made for the holidays a few years ago.
Prep Time: 5 min Cook time 25 mins Serves 8
12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1 large cinnamon stick
4 whole allspice berries
4 whole cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
1 whole star anise
1. In a medium saucepan, toast whole spices over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add sugar and water and bring to a simmer. Cook the spices in the simple syrup for 3 minutes.
3. Remove spices from simple syrup, leaving the cinnamon sticks in.
5. Add in fresh cranberries
6. Cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally . The berries should pop open and thicken the sauce.
7. Remove cinnamon sticks and remove from the heat.
8. Place in a serving bowl. Cover and place in the fridge.
9. Serve chilled