This is my go-to recipe for cornbread. It’s the perfect side dish for chowders and chilies. This recipe can also be used for hush puppies or as a base for cornbread stuffing.
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Serves 8
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
2 cups buttermilk
1 jalapeno, diced
1 jalapeno, sliced into rounds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place oil in a cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Preheating the pan like this will give you nice crispy edges
- In a large bowl whisk together the diced jalapenos, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk
- Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and mix gently, careful not to over mix.
- Take the preheated cast-iron pan out of the oven and pour batter into the hot pan.
- Place the sliced jalapenos on top of the cornbread batter. Make it pretty!
- Place back into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean and the cornbread is slightly golden on top.