Pickled onions are something that has grown on me over the past year. So much so, that I’ll never eat raw onions on a sandwich again! This version uses grapefruit juice, lime juice, as well as red wine vinegar as the pickling liquid. My favorite way to use these is as a topping for tacos. Yum!
Prep Time 10 mins Serves 12
Juice of 1 large grapefruit (about a cup)
Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup red wine vinigar
1 medium red onion, sliced thin
1 large mason jar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine juice of Grapefruit, lime and red wine vinegar into a large mason jar
- Add salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to the liquid and stir to combine
- Thinly slice red onion and add it into the jar.
- Make sure all the onions are submerged into the liquid
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before serving
- Keeps for at least 2 weeks